Friday, March 17, 2017

Review - The Tombs of Atuan

Original Title: The Tombs of Atuan
Series: Earthsea Cycle, #2
Author: Ursula K. Le Guin
Published: 1970

Publisher: Minotauro (Spanish edition)

I loved this book! Even more than the previous one, and definitely, it made me keep reading the rest of the saga. It was a short read, but excellent in every possible way.

Ursula Le Guin does something with words that is pure magic, I can't explain it differently. I don't know if this happened to other readers, but to me, that I devoured the first few chapters in such a little time, it happened that as Ahra came and went through the tunnels underground, she didn't see anything, but she guided herself remembering, and I was the one who had the feeling that I was going to get lost. And that terrible, black, opressive darkness that ruled in there is told in such a way that, when there was suddenly light, Ahra and I went blind at the same time. It was something incredible that took me by surprise. The light, gleaming on the diamonds on the walls, was so sudden that I too, reading from my bed, was dazzled. 

Ged... ups, sorry. Sparrowhawk. Your real name must not be revealed to anyone. Anyway, I loved to read again about him, and seeing how wise he has become, in addition to how powerful, in comparison to who he was in the previous book. I love that character just the way he is, that learned from his mistakes, and truly wants to help Arha, not just get away himself and leave her to her fate.

The only rather unpleasant thing were some of the priestesses' rituals and offerings in the Tombs of Atuain, but it's not that it was the most disgusting thing in the world, so it's not a bad thing, or a fault, and it's not a reason for someone who wants to read the saga to back off. As for me, it was a minor thing, and it didn't stop me from reading the rest of the saga.

And to finish this review, I loved this paragraph:  "Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward towards the light; but the laden traveler may never reach the end of it.". Obviously, in context, it has a lot more meaning, depth and truth.

Anyway, it is a very good book. After all, every fantasy lover can't miss the Earthsea Cycle, right? Really, it doesn't disappoint. Absolutely great!

**Sorry, but as a fan of period dresses and movie/series costumes in general, I loved this: "The heavy black she had worn for years was gone: her dress was of turquoise-colored silk, bright and soft as the evening sky. It belled out full from her hips, and all the skirt was embroidered with thin silver threads and seed pearls and tiny crumbs of crystal, so that it glittered softly, like rain in April." It is a beautiful dress, I couldn't help quoting it.**

0 comments:

Post a Comment