Friday, March 17, 2017

Review - The Farthest Shore

Original Title: The Farthest Shore
Series: Earthsea Cycle, #3
Author: Ursula K. Le Guin
Published: 1972

Publisher: Minotauro (Spanish edition)

THE FOLLOWING REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

This book was my least favorite in the saga. I  started it, then left it a few chapters away from the ending, and I didn't take it again for months. Finally, I finished. And it left me with a bittersweet sensation.

I liked Sparrowhawk very much as a character, but in this one, he went down. There was something in him that I didn't like this time. The only salvageable thing about him was his selfless sacrifice, giving everything he had to save Earthsea from a terrible fate. But in general terms, he, as a person, didn't make me very happy.

The book is Arren's coming of age journey, but him, specifically... well, I don't want to say I didn't like him, but neither was fascinating. Plus, the crossing through the mountains of Sorrow, and the whole death thing in that part, was very confusing. There was a moment in which I just couldn't follow them, neither understand very well what was happening.

It wasn't a bad book. It is short, a quick read, and interesting thanks to the world of Earthsea in itself. I recommend it for fantasy lovers who may find a lot more inside these pages than I did. The fact that it was dense for me it's just my thing, maybe for others is a different experience.

And please, believe me, the next book, Tehanu, is a lot more interesting. This one is not bad, and although I don't think it is the best, is an overall entertaining read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment