Friday, March 17, 2017

Review - A Wizard of Earthsea

Original Title: A Wizard of Earthsea
Series: Earthsea Cycle, #1
Author: Ursula K. Le Guin
Published: 1968

Publisher: Minotauro (Spanish edition)
 

I read this book back in 2014, but I decided to translate my original review, to share it with all of you. I couldn't find a good picture of the Spanish edition cover, so I picked this one, by Houghton Mifflin. 

I picked the A Wizard of Earthsea because, back then, I wanted to read fantasy again, after a long time, and I have to say that the Earthsea world always seemed interesting to me; it was something that, as admired of Fantasy Literature, couldn't be missing from my reading lists. I hadn't read many things about wizards in a long time during those days, and I although I liked this book, it didn't have me at the edge of my sit during many pages (as I would have liked). But towards the end, I have to admit that I couldn't put it down. It was very good.

I thought that the whole shadow part was very deep. Although, when Ged turned into a hawk and flew back to his master's house, he gave him an advice I had been yelling at him chapter after chapter: that he couldn't run forever, that, no matter where he'd go, the shadow would follow him, and that the only solution was to face it, go from pray to hunter.

The Earthsea world-building is great, although so many islands and cities' names, I ended up a bit dizzied. My edition came with a map at the beginning, and I kept looking at it every so often, to know where the characters were.

I also like the dragons in this one, on their part as wise creatures, though wild, and although I would have like for them to have a bigger part -because I particularly like dragons-, that didn't take away how good the book is.

Generally speaking, I liked this story. Very entertaining and recommended, that made me read the rest of the saga!


0 comments:

Post a Comment