Monday, August 8, 2016

Review - Obsidian

Original Title: Obsidian
Series: Lux, #1
Published: November 2011
Publisher: 
Entangled Teen

Ok, I have mixed feelings about this book. I read it because a friend told me to, and I was needing something to keep up with my reading challenge; and also because I saw a lot of people talking about it, so I decided to give it a try. 

First of all, I have to say, Katy is an annoying character from time to time. I didn't like the fact that the first thing she thought about meeting Daemon was of how kissable his lips were... For me, it's not a good way to start. But still, I was surprised of how the story hooked me, it's a fast paced read, the narration is rather simple but not bad, and it has what it takes to keep a reader turning pages until the end, with the right amount of suspense at the end of every chapter that makes you keep reading. I liked Daemon more than I care to admit; he's tender and sweet, but you don't fully know that until you read that few scenes at the end, from his point of view, and until then, he's quite difficult to stand for me. He's sarcastic, and I just don't like his attitude (but again, neither does Katy).

Honestly, I just don't care much if a supposed romance involves spending half the time talking about how hot the guy is, and how sexy he looks shirtless, but still, for her he's the most annoying being in the whole universe. If a romance is more physical than about true feelings, it is not so attractive for me, even when he is her knight in shining armor more than once.

I noticed, also, that it's the first YA novel I read in which high school is reflected as it truly is, and not as I read it in other books. This one shows the real life of teenagers, without hiding anything that is in plain sight (you know, gossips, prom, after prom dates... all that - though I must say, sometimes I don't quite get everything, because I'm from Argentina, and here we don't have proms, so many things they take for granted aren't so heard-of here).

I found very original that they were beings of light, the Lux, and their enemies were beings of Darkness, the Arum. It puts an end to stereotypes about aliens, and that's a bonus point, because it exudes originality, and shows a true and great use of the imagination; plus, it's a very graphic reflection of the eternal struggle between good and evil, light and darkness, and I liked the detail very much.

Overall, it's not a bad read, just not the kind of thing I like the most. Historical reads are still my favorites. But it's a good read for YA and Sci-fi fans. Will I read the rest of the saga? I don't know. Maybe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment